Monday, April 4, 2016

Reflecting on My Experience with Creative Writing

Creative class is a very interesting experience I am glad I had to go through. When I first signed for this module, I really didn't expect anything at all. I thought we would simply learn about some techniques and activities to implement some creative writing in our classroom, which is fine. We are still getting there I think, but I loved that we- the teachers- had to go through the experience ourselves. That came as a surprise to me, but as we went on with that, it all made sense. We have to place ourselves in the students’ positions, and we must see how things can be daunting or overwhelming at certain points. I personally found it challenging to give feedback to my peers’ because I was afraid they would find it insensitive. Also, I have learned that creative writing can actually be taught to some extent of course, but I really loved every technique, and I really tried hard embrace those techniques, and they took me to places I didn't think I will get to. I used be way into creative writing, but at some points I gave up on myself thinking that I don’t have the potential to produce something remarkable. However, seeing how learnable creative writing can be, I am seriously considering giving myself a change.  

With my flash fiction story, I was very influenced by Sticks I must say, and I was intrigued by how pre-reading stories can impact our writing in different ways according to our individual characteristics. Some completely undermined those stories and went on their own journeys. Some found some inspiration in the suggested stories as I did with Sticks while others looked for inspiration from other fiction readings or movies. This immediately encouraged me to try out giving a fiction piece to read or something to watch and then have the students start making a story from that point. How that piece gets them to start is entirely up to them.

Moreover, Flash fiction really appealed to me due to its short nature even though it requires extreme selectivity, it encourages an early start with creative writing. I don’t why I had the assumption that it has to be a novel to count as an eligible story, but I overlooked the options in between. However, after going through this experience, I started searching for convenient creative writing activities.

Another task that I really enjoyed was the scene making. As a fiction reader myself, I have always fully emerged into scenes that are marvelously written and to even attempting to make such a thing myself felt rewarding. Many techniques helped such as focusing on a single object and highlighting it with detailed description using the senses. This really helps with building vocabulary and descriptive language. Immersing into the character and describing things the way they would see them also made me think of several ways this could bring so much excitement and creativity into my writing classes. Students can all describe a single item but from different characters' point of view and see how influential the outlook can be on the very same scene.

The last and the most challenging activity was writing a story and going through writing workshops to receive feedback and refine and reshape the stories. It was very interesting to see the different the backgrounds and the ideas behind each story. Being an online class and having us come from different backgrounds really allowed for this versatility in style and language. Thus, it feels that creative writing classes can be taken into another level when held on international basis. The first drafts were impressive but raw and lacking clarity as things can be very clear in the author’s head, but they don’t translate as clearly in the writing. This enlightened me to the importance of feedback, to actually listen and to the fact that stories are very editable. They can go through many stages until they form their final shape.

As easy as it sounds, listening to every single feedback and trying to please all points of view is kind of impossible. The story really begins as we write it, and it has its own twists and turns, and it doesn’t always want the author to manipulate it. Stories do have this sort of power. In my case, I knew I wanted to write something about my grandmother. My first draft was flashes from her life before she passed away. As much as the character was loveable, and the culture seems interesting, there was a clear lack of action and dialogue. We learned to focus on point of view, so I didn't like the fact that she was the narrator because that was unrealistic. She was sick, immobile and unable to communicate. In my second draft, I attempted to change the point of view to complete strangers who had no clue about what the culture is like, but my story completely changed. I didn't plan it, and I didn't expect it to go that way but I loved trusting my instincts and just letting the stories be themselves. That activity can be a great outlet for creativity and addressing main issues with fiction. I definitely will incorporate more of that into my very personal life. I am a part of a book club, and I suggested to the members to actually discuss our own stories at some point. They are all on board, but I will pass to them some of the techniques were learned. I also downloaded three books loaded with great creative writing activities, and I plan to do them once in a while and have my students do them as well.

In the end, every technique we learned gave me an ''aha'' moment and really shifted my perspective as a reader and as an immature doing it for fun sort of writer. Those techniques inspired many activities that are applicable in classrooms, modifiable to many levels with an abundance of learning potential. Now I am really looking forward to applying all of that in class and tweaking things with technology.




No comments:

Post a Comment